[lbo-talk] LA Juvenile Hall

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 21 11:15:45 PDT 2007

Chuck wrote:

>Of course I don't buy a word of it. If Texas is cited as a model, fuck
>it. Nothing is going to change.

You want to believe it but there's too many examples of unfulfilled promises to make it easy to believe. In Los Angeles, after the Watts riots and the Rodney King riots commissions were set up to investigate and suggestions for sweeping changes in policing were made. Warren Christopher was on both of them. Not much has changed. One of Schwarzenegger's original platforms as governor was promises for prison reform. But the prison guards' union is probably the most powerful union in the state. Pull into a prison parking lot and you see more union bumper stickers in one place than you'll see anywhere else. The governor quickly learned you can't go against them easily. Here's an article from last summer:

http://www.lacitybeat.com/article.php?id=4065&IssueNum=163