[lbo-talk] Spiegel interviews Sharpton

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Mar 22 08:57:37 PDT 2007

Doug:

Yeah, I thought Woj's reaction was weird, since he was specifically rejecting a race-based vote in favor of a policy-based one. And policy-wise, Obama's no bargain.

[WS:] Politics is 10 percent policy and 90 percent appearance, and Mr. Sharpton's appearance is no match for that of Mr. Obama. But even of restrict ourselves for policy only, what is wrong with Mr. Obama? Actually, I pretty much appreciate the fact that he is fairly liberal yet avoids pandering to the lumpen- and criminal loving fringe that Mr. Sharpton tends to do.

I think I made myself quite clear on this list that I am against fraternizing with the lumpen and criminal elements, and I am pretty much against any policy that panders to such fraternization. The only policies toward these elements that I do support are those aiming at eliminating that social stratum altogether and integrating it to the mainstream society. So why is my attitude toward Mr. Sharpton's populism any surprise?

Wojtek