[lbo-talk] Development of Political Underdevelopment (was electability)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 16:25:42 PDT 2007

> On Mar 23, 2007, at 6:34 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> > As far as Americans are concerned, most of them don't really believe
> > in being the same in god's sight or equal opportunity or level playing
> > fields, despite what religion or the constitution says. Why do I
> > know that? Because they believe in "electability." What is
> > electability but the fact of having enough support of the ruling class
> > and therefore having a shot at high office? The dominant ideology is
> > deference to the Master Class.
>
> You're taking American exceptionalism too far. People everywhere
> practice strategic voting. The problem isn't really in the electoral
> realm - it's that our level of extra-electoral organization and
> consciousness is fairly primitive.

The other day, I was reading John Mage and Bernard D'Mello's notes on Nepal, an extremely economically underdeveloped country:

The material basis for creating a new realm of

freedom has not as yet developed in Nepal;

it is a backward economy with conditions of life

that are harsh for most of its people. But the human

resources, from what we saw, are bettered nowhere.

Young people with whom we talked startled us with

a superior knowledge of some of the fundamental

processes taking place in the world than the

"sophisticated" youth we encounter elsewhere,

whether in New York City or Mumbai. A young

PLA soldier at the Tila sub-cantonment engaged

us vigorously on the role of intellectuals in advanced

capitalist society, and the relative absence of their

solidarity with dominated peoples as compared to

metropolitan red intellectuals of the past.

("The Beginnings of a New Democratic Nepal?," <http://monthlyreview.org/mrzine/md160307.html>)

Political development doesn't coincide with economic development.

What we have in the USA is development of political underdevelopment -- the more economy gets developed, the more politics gets underdeveloped here -- and there ought to be a new dependency theory to explain this political tendency at the heartland of capitalism.

Part of that is bad faith, as Sartre explains it: people, especially those on the left side of the political spectrum, freely deny their own freedom, thus avoiding responsibility for the choices they make. "I have the courage of convictions, but politicians don't," say the voters on the Left, all the while voting down politicians who have the courage of convictions they lack. -- Yoshie