[lbo-talk] DK brouhaha

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 24 07:44:17 PDT 2007

I'm not dismissing anybody wholesale, I just think Jello is being a little hypocritical.

--- "B." <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote: There's a lot of vapid moralizing in tons of stuff -- on this list, among politicians, CEO, press conferences/spokesmen, finger-wagging at demos by activists, and, of course, punk. But dismissing a punk wholesale is pretty cavalier and is especially a difficult conclusion to come to if, in fact, you listened the Ian Bone/Class War interview w/ Doug on his last show (31-15-07) or have heard some of the really fine recent post-80s hardcore by bands like Born Against and, I'd also say, World Burns to Death, and plenty of fine others. A lot of it is political music. Some people don't like that; they think Utah Phillips moralizes too much for them. Can't please everyone.

But "I Kill Children," which is a song I like, isn't about Jello wanting to kill kids. He's assuming a narrative voice like a lot of singers do -- for example, the outlaw country movement, speaking in the voice of lonely desperados or whatever. Not everything written is a position paper advocating "pro-" this or "pro-" that. And, yeah, there's a lot of shock here and there. Some of it can be profound and challenging, some of it dismissable.

I haven't seen Grindhouse, and if it's anything like KIll Bill 1 & 2, I'll be glad. "Too Drnk to Fuck" being played by the DKs during a rape scene doesn't sit well with me, and one of the key members didn't want it. Maybe I'll change my mind and see how great it is when I see the movie. But right now it seems an odious way to use the song.

-B.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a PS3 game guru. Get your game face on with the latest PS3 news and previews at Yahoo! Games. http://videogames.yahoo.com/platform?platform=120121