[lbo-talk] Ehrenstein on Obama

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 24 10:11:04 PDT 2007

>From: Jean-Christophe Helary <fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp>
>
>On 24 mars 07, at 14:47, Carl Remick wrote:
>
> >> From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <critical.montages at gmail.com>
> >>
> >> Does Hugo Chavez look attractive to you? I like him a lot, but all I
> >> can say regarding his looks is that he reminds me of a baked potato
> >> just out of the oven. Hoka hoka! Maybe the Venezuelans get a warm
> >> feeling looking at him. :->
> >
> > Actually the folks who should get a warm feeling from super-spud
> > Chavez are
> > the US residents who benefited from Chavez's provision of heating
> > oil this
> > past winter to low-income households at a cost 40% off the usual US
> > wholesale price. Localities participating included: Alaska,
> > Connecticut,
> > Delaware, the District of Columbia, Indiana, Maine, Maryland,
> > Massachusetts,
> > Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Greater Philadelphia, Greater
> > Pittsburgh,
> > Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia and Wisconsin.
> >
> > <http://www.citgo.com/CommunityInvolvement/HeatingOil.jsp>
> >
> > BTW: Hoka hoka???
>
>That's Japanese for "warm just out of the oven".

[There's a US ad slogan that goes, "Nothing says lovin' like something from the the oven," but I guess USers are immune to Chavez's genuine warmth and generosity. USA Today, in an article (quoted below) that's basically a hatchet job on Chavez, notes that Chavez's heating oil donations to the US's poor have been greeted by deep ingratitude from USers. There must be some limit to Americans' self-righteous nastiness vis-à-vis the rest of the world, but it doesn't seem we're close to that limit yet.]

... Through his control of the U.S. petroleum company Citgo, a subsidiary of Venezuela's state oil company, Chávez this winter doled out more than 100 million gallons of discounted home heating oil in 16 U.S. states. The program, featured in Citgo television ads, benefited more than 400,000 households.

While tweaking the world's richest nation for its inability to take care of its own, the giveaway hasn't done much for Chávez's image in the United States. In a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll this month, only 9% approved of the Venezuelan leader. ...

<http://www.usatoday.com/money/world/2007-03-23-chavez2-usat_N.htm>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Watch free concerts with Pink, Rod Stewart, Oasis and more. Visit MSN Presents today. http://music.msn.com/presents?icid=ncmsnpresentstagline&ocid=T002MSN03A07001