[lbo-talk] Time Use studies

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sat Mar 24 15:04:12 PDT 2007

James Heartfield wrote:
> Doug:
>
> "And check out table 3 <ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/news.release/atus.txt>:
> leisure hours decline with educational attainment. The working class
> has more time on its hands than the professional-managerial class."
>
> I take that with a pinch of salt. Time Use studies groan under the weight of
> moaning "overworked" managers, most of whom hide away from their depressing
> families at work, where they can goof around in good conscience.
>
> The difference between the working class and the professional-managerial
> class as far as working hours goes, is that the latter control their working
> environment, and so are at liberty to hang out there, as they are pleased
> to.

I have a hard time believing James has ever worked in the professional/managerial class if he thinks they "control their working environment". I've been serving as an interim Dean at my community college for the past term, and I have to say administrators' lives are tightly constrained by meetings, deadlines, and bureaucratic regulation.

I can only imagine it's worse in for-profit organizations.

Miles