[lbo-talk] Between Actions (was Character)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Mar 24 14:34:37 PDT 2007

On Mar 24, 2007, at 4:47 PM, jrdavis wrote:

> I would suggest that left groups close down their coast offices and
> move inland. To areas with no left activity or very little. Get
> back to the real people...

This makes no sense to me. If the left groups, whoever they are, have had so little success organizing the more-or-less like-minded in coastal cities, then why should they have any better prospects in thinly populated regions that lean fairly far to the right?

This trope of the "real people" is annoying as hell. I'm real, and I'm surrounded by 8 million New Yorkers, all of them real people. About 25 million people live in the New York media market, nearly 10% of the U.S. pop. Add metro areas like Boston, Washington, Philadelphia, and the entire state of California, we're talking a substantial chunk of the population. Where's more fruitful? Nebraska? Why? Because they're fat and eat lots of beef and live far apart? Is that what makes them "realer" than my neighbors?

Doug