[lbo-talk] 15% of the Population, 2 Hours per Weekend (was Development of Political Underdevelopment)

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Mar 25 09:27:04 PDT 2007

Andy F wrote:

> Consider Bitch's observation that a lot of the megachurches provide a
> lot of the day-to-day social services that unions, coops and gummit
> use to provide. Right now it looks like eternal salvation and daycare
> vs. a higher minimum wage and ...?

I think lots of people go to church on a regular basis for the social aspect of religion. You would think that the number of people who do church because they want to achieve "eternal life" after deathis diwndling among churchgoers. Although the growth of the Southern Baptists suggests otherwise.

But just look at what churches do. They spend large amounts of money on social services.

I think this suggests that leftist could attract people if they spent more time "building community" and counter-institutions. After all, we have more concrete things to offer than religions which are selling heaven and hell.

Chuck