[lbo-talk] Time Use studies

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 25 20:20:23 PDT 2007

At least for some managerial-professional workers the pay differential is also significant. My old firm Kirkland & Ellis now _starts_ first year associates at $140,000 a year. (I was making about $170K when I left.)

Of course you have no life, billing 2500+ hours year, working 8 till 11 seven days a week (this is literally true) and longer hours when something's happening.

I am now teaching law, still practicing pro bono, and the other day I was working late on a presentation when the custodian tried to throw me out at 11 pm. I demurred, but he said with great irritation that I'd need a letter from the Dean if I wanted to stay late. A letter from the Dean to work late in my own office!

I reported this to a friend, who said, "Toto, I don't think we're at Kirkland any more. But that's not necessarily such a bad thing.") At Kirkland, if you left at 11 there were lots of people still there, and some of them had not gone home when you got back the next morning at 8.

It got worse when you made partner.