[lbo-talk] 15% of the Population, 2 Hours per Weekend

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 26 05:34:13 PDT 2007

Depends on what Heartfield meant by "engagement with" them.

Two organizations that I have worked with in groups I've been in were both specifically Catholic -- an organization of nuns that helped educate immigrant's rights workers at a Pilgrim's Pride plant about their rights, by flyering and pamphleteering at areas they tended to congregate on their lunch breaks and thus out of the employer's eye -- and an anti-death enalty group tat was also Catholic. I was in the IWW at the time, an organization that tends towards anti-religious sentiment (Joe Hill's "Pie in the Sky When You Die").

With Food Not Bombs I had no problem people dispensing food, or referring to them interfaith food pantries -- or also to the Dept of Health & Human Services, a secular organization for food stamps more reliable than either the religious or our secular FNB organization. If I knew of some place that would lay a Bible trip on them in order to get aid I'd try to find other agencies to refer them to. Once, when I needed $100 worth of medicine not covered by my insurance I myself got it from a Southern Baptist charity ("for this one time only," they insisted) and was asked, before it was given to me, "So, what church do you go to?" I lied: "Uh, I really haven't chosen one yet." They gave me a flyer for their services, which I threw away later. Fuck that, I just had to have what really were important meds at that time.

By the same token, I don't attend tany of these groups' anti-abortion stuff. They can stuff it.

-B.

Lenin's Tomb wrote:
> On 3/26/07, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>
>> That is a straw man. I can't imagine anyone
advocating not engaging
>> with politically sympathetic religious people. Who
did?

> Fortunately for you, you don't have to use your
imagination in this
> case. Let me quote Mr Heartfield:
>
> "Engagement might lead you towards salvation and the
kingdom of
> heaven, if that is what
> you want, but it is unlikely to lead the religious
to revolution, or