[lbo-talk] Time Use studies

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 06:04:39 PDT 2007

On 3/26/07, Tayssir John Gabbour <tayssir.john at googlemail.com> wrote:

> For example, some high-profile people in my industry admit to what
> "I've known all along," that they spent on average like 2-3 hours a
> day actually coding. Some guilt-filled weeks it's more like 0. The
> rest of the workplace time, they putter around, paying credit card
> bills, commenting on forums, maybe coding Free Software, etc. But
> despite that, they apparently get the job done because overall
> productivity is what counts. Not hours.

Oh, yeah, totally true. I'm not saying it's impossible to write a book and still get your work done, it's just that his narrative of "I got shot down because I told the truth about The Man" makes me reach for my inner Wojtek. I know that happens, but I have a hard time buying it in his case.

> But if the author of _Disciplined Minds_ got job his done well, and
> was fired for telling the truth about his profession... I kinda view
> it as an ideologial firing. Writing an honest book which gave me
> advice I even happened to use last week. I wish more people would do
> that.

I don't think it's all bullshit -- his basic advice of talking to your peers and organizing makes perfect sense. But that's the same in almost any job.

-- Andy