[lbo-talk] homeownershp again

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 26 10:47:08 PDT 2007

[an archive reader writes...]

I was just browsing the lbo-talk archives when I noticed the thread on home ownership rates and correlations with income and unemployment. I once worked for the social housing section of a Canadian provincial government and we noticed the same phenomenon. Home ownership rates were high in poor, rural areas because people there didn't have a choice between owning and renting. Rental housing was either minimal or non-existent. To me, low rental rates reflect market failure...