[lbo-talk] Denunciatory diatribes

tfast tfast at yorku.ca
Mon Mar 26 12:16:59 PDT 2007

> Such denunciatory diatribes have generally an opposite effect on me -
being
> exposed to them I tend to identify with the denounced practice or
> institution more than I ordinarily would, and I am less sympathetic toward
> the proposed 'alternative' than I ordinarily would be. I wonder if others
> have similar reactions, and if so, if denunciatory diatribe is really a
> clever marketing ploy to sell the mainstream practices and institutions.
>
> Wojtek

Ah but this just makes you a reactionaries reactionary. Why would not your reaction be to attempt to grab the rational kernel in the diatribe and move on to a more subtle analysis. Also have you noticed that your reaction is precisely the reaction that lefty's and right's have. That is, the right drones on about the Evils of Iran and then someone on the left celebrates the Iranian regime as an anti-imperialist force. How is this any different the your reaction: "I tend to identify with the denounced practice or institution" ?

Travis