[lbo-talk] 15% of the Population, 2 Hours per Weekend (was Development of Political Underdevelopment)

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Mar 26 14:03:37 PDT 2007

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> [WS:] I do not think they are stupid about this. It is just that the
> networks that they used to use disappeared, and they had to replace it with
> something else. The problem was that there was not much to choose from.
> The only institutions capable of creating and sustaining networks on a large
> scale are the academia, the military, and organized religion.
>
> The left has been using social networks created by the academia, as the
> other ones are not very conducive to left politics. However, academic
> networks have limitations - they tend disintegrate when people more to the
> "real life" and become concerned with raising a family, making a living,
> paying bills, etc. As a consequence, the left has been confined to the are
> where this type of networks remains the strongest - the academia itself.

I'm really not that interested in what the hell happens to left academics and their networks. I roll my eyes every time I hear some leftist academic whine about pressure from the right wing. Academics are privileged workers who are generally well paid. I'd love to have a sweet academic job. If I had an academic job, I'd run my mouth on every subject imaginable. I'll take that risk.

It would certainly beat being penniless and being blacklisted from one's profession. I've taken those risks and I have suffered the consequences. I'm still fucking here.

Anyway, Woj talk about these networks having disappeared, which they have if you talk about the institutions the left had built up during the early 20th century. But there are networks and counter-institutions. The left just a poor job of supporting these spaces and projects. Then they waste their money on shit like Moveon and the Democrats.

It's Monday. I try not to post on Mondays because I'm always in a shitty mood.

Back to figuring out how to make some fucking money.

Chuck -------------------------- Bread and Roses Web Design serving small businesses, non-profits, artists and activists http://www.breadandrosesweb.com/