[lbo-talk] 15% of the Population, 2 Hours per Weekend (was Development of Political Underdevelopment)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Mar 26 17:25:44 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> the average U.S. worker makes $651/week;
> the average woman, $585/week. The average pre-K and K teacher makes
> $521 a week. (The field is 96% female, so there's not enough data to
> say with statistical significance how much males make in the field.)
> A pre-K/K teacher makes 20% less than the average worker, and 11%
> less than the average woman worker.

(Males are apt to be principals.) Huge differences between districts. My sister-in-law teaches 6th-grade in Northbrook Illinois, and earns somewhere near to $100,000 -- that's in addition to having assistants, art teachers, music teachers, computer teachers, etc up the kazoo to take up it seems about half the day. And a Mac for every student.

Carrol