[lbo-talk] Pete Townshend, musical scholar and taxonomist: "The Police are punk rock"

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 26 18:22:41 PDT 2007

[Maybe there are some very primitive mega-early demos where the Police sound vaguely, vaguely punk, but come on. I say: HAHAHAHA. STing being in a punk mvoie or two doesn't count. -B.]

http://www.nme.com/news/the-police/27287

During an interview on New York radio station WAXQ-FM, Townshend said, "They're now calling The Police 'classic rock.' I don't think so. The Police are punk. They're a punk band. They're not classic rock."

Townshend added: "You know, you've got the (Rolling) Stones and The Who. Classic rock - finished. It's all over after that...this is just music. It's not classic anything."