[lbo-talk] 15% of the Population, 2 Hours per Weekend (was Development of Political Underdevelopment)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 26 19:53:29 PDT 2007

Ph.D's are generally regarded as totally overqualified in most avenues of life, treated with suspicion, regarded as foolish and impractical people who spent years on nonsense no sensible person would care about, and resented as smarty pants know-it-alls. Also PhD training really does unsuit you for lots of the normal behaviors, attitudes, and activities expected of most people in the business, legal, corporate, and government worlds. It's hard to explain the effect, but it is transformative, like getting a serious religion for a long time (even if you get over it), or doing tour of duty in the Marines (even noncombat), or having your brain really thoroughly washed by the Red Chinese. No one gets out the same, just knowing more stuff. I'm am not saying it makes you better, maybe Joanna is right that it makes you worse, but call that as you may it makes you _different_ in may that other people (disfavorably) notice. (I have a PhD in philosophy and political science from a top 5 school as well as law degree from a top 40 school.)