[lbo-talk] 15% of the Population, 2 Hours per Weekend (was Development of Political Underdevelopment)

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon Mar 26 21:16:31 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> So yeah, there are some shitty academic jobs, but it pays a lot
> better than teaching kindergarten, like my sister-in-law, who's
> pretty strapped considering what important work that is.
>
> Doug

I wholeheartedly agree that kindergarten teachers are woefully underpaid. However, keep in mind that the data you provided are about full-time professors in higher education. They are the minority of instructors in colleges and universities, and their numbers are shrinking. Depending on location, pay for adjunct faculty at most colleges is about 1/3 that of full-time faculty, annualized load (i.e., what adjuncts would be paid at the adjunct rate if they taught the full-time, annual courseload that tenured faculty are assigned). That probably gets down toward the kindergarten teachers. --In either case, it's shameful.

Miles