[lbo-talk] 15% of the Population, 2 Hours per Weekend (was Development of Political Underdevelopment)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Mar 26 21:09:58 PDT 2007

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> I'd
> > love to have a sweet
> > academic job. If I had an academic job, I'd run my
> > mouth on every
> > subject imaginable. I'll take that risk.
> >

> You don't know what the fuck you are talking about. I
> did that at my first academic career. I got fired. I
> had to go to law school. You'd get fired too. Ever
> wonder why there aren't a load of leftist professors
> in the academy, contrary to the right wing's misrepresentations?

I sort of did what Chuck fantasizes -- but then I was conducting my political education in public, which is not always a pretty sight. But fortunately, I had achieved tenure just before things started to get rough, and even more fortunately, the year the shit really hit the fan happened to be the year there was an _acting_ president who (astoundingly) really believed in academic freedom and proper procedure, so I sneaked through, but for the next 17 years my position was one I facetiously but accurately described as that of a "tenured temp."

Justin is essentially correct.

Carrol