[lbo-talk] [Fwd: Re: [Marxism] Arundhati Roy: An Activist Returns To The Novel]

Sujeet Bhatt sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 06:55:36 PDT 2007

On 3/27/07, Dennis Redmond <dredmond at efn.org> wrote:

> I'm not so sure about that. Roy isn't the most diplomatic person in the
> world, but she has a point: Indian neoliberalism is as toxic and
> self-destructive as any of its First World versions. India is growing
> fast, but in a very polarizing way, especially between regions. That's a
> prescription for another century of grinding neocolonial purgatory.
>
> -- DRR

It would be easy to absolve Roy if her only fault was lack of diplomacy. Her cardinal sin, however, is that she is able to clothe her oversimplifications in a seductive sheen of authenticity - this is a potentially dangerous skill.

Sujeet

-- My humanity is in feeling we are all voices of the same poverty. - Jorge Louis Borges