[lbo-talk] 15% of the Population, 2 Hours per Weekend, (was Development of Political Underdevelopment)

Tim Francis-Wright tim at francis-wright.com
Tue Mar 27 07:43:42 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Mar 27, 2007, at 12:16 AM, Miles Jackson wrote:
> > I wholeheartedly agree that kindergarten teachers are woefully
> > underpaid. However, keep in mind that the data you provided are about
> > full-time professors in higher education.
>
> No, it's the median pay of all workers in the occupational categories.

I think that it is not so clear. The BLS tables attempt to gross-up salaries to full-time hours, e.g. <http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes251021.htm>

2) Annual wages have been calculated by multiplying the hourly mean

wage by a "year-round, full-time" hours figure of 2,080 hours; for

those occupations where there is not an hourly mean wage published,

the annual wage has been directly calculated from the reported survey

data.

I would love to know how part-time adjuncts are treated here; I suspect that the BLS imputes an hourly wage.

--tim francis-wright