[lbo-talk] Testifying (was something about 2 hrs a weekend)

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Tue Mar 27 17:17:18 PDT 2007

the key is in the testifying these days. it's not proselytizing like going door-to-door, but something a lot more subtle. Sort of like a religious version of the infomercial where the person testifies to the power of christ in her life. if you can show that your marriage or your job or success in life or anything, really, is the result of haysooz and that personal relationship thingaroo, that's where it's at. it works on people, so think those who advocate testimony (remember, works is out, testifying is in), the same way it works on people to watch a late night infomercial about weight loss, real estate investment, and hair regeneration products. once posted about a site I found where they carefully assessed various "types" of people -- such as lefties -- and gave believers advice on how to approach us in order to find an opportunity to testify to the power of the dead guy on a stick.

also, as Debz (in Texas) has often pointed out, the mainline churches and some outposts of catholic churches use the same technique more and more.

also, as Ehrenreich pointed out in her latest (I think she did), I know it was part of her research, she just may not have included it in the published book, one of the ways people "proselytize" these days is to provide services such as counseling, child care, summer camp, family get togethers/retreats, sports, study groups, job counseling and career transition programs, and all manner of things increasingly not provided by the government. They claim there are no strings attached, anyone can attend a career transition workshop and use the copiers, computers, resume services, pep talks, job hunting advice, etc. Very subtle stuff.

BL