[lbo-talk] [Fwd: Re: [Marxism] Arundhati Roy: An Activist Returns To The Novel]

Sujeet Bhatt sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 08:40:38 PDT 2007

On 3/27/07, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Personally, I find her political essays (I have not
> read her fiction) to be suffocatingly self-righteous,
> unreadable. But people here already knew that. :)

Couldn't agree more! They are self-righteous to the point of being nauseating.

> --- Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 27, 2007, at 9:55 AM, Sujeet Bhatt wrote:
> >
> > > It would be easy to absolve Roy if her only fault
> > was lack of
> > > diplomacy. Her cardinal sin, however, is that she
> > is able to clothe
> > > her oversimplifications in a seductive sheen of
> > authenticity - this is
> > > a potentially dangerous skill.
> >
> > So far you've asserted this, but not elaborated.
> > Could you give some
> > examples?
> >
> > Doug

I would be happy to do an illustrative cut-and-paste sampling for the list as soon as I can find the time and energy to dig through some of her toxic stuff.

Sujeet

-- My humanity is in feeling we are all voices of the same poverty. - Jorge Louis Borges