[lbo-talk] [Fwd: Re: [Marxism] Arundhati Roy: An Activist ReturnsTo The Novel]

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Wed Mar 28 11:02:50 PDT 2007

Carrol wrote:

> I've seen a lot of attention paid to what an obnoxious person Roy is,
> but I haven't seen any serious attempt to refute her arguments.

She's not obnoxious at all, actually quite charming in person, just very vocal and feisty. Sometimes her political writing veers over into sentimental moralizing, but she gets 90% of neoliberalism right, and her pieces are always powerful, engaging and exquisitely well-written. Plus, "God of Small Things" is a magnificent novel.

-- DRR