[lbo-talk] An amusing column

Charles A. Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Wed Mar 28 12:45:17 PDT 2007

anabolic steroids in beef...something Dennis Claxton

--------

You have to wonder since steroids, growth hormones, and other feed additives are mostly unregulated or impossible to control or track down in the fast food and munchies markets, if these together don't seriously contribute to the epidemic of fat in the general population.

As I understand it, excess hormones and other active substances like steriods are either excreted or stored in body fat of both humans and animals.

Dot, dot, dot, so up the food chain to McD's that burger is a flaming drug store.

But McD has been around since at least the late fifties when I was in high school and I was definitely a fast food junky---although I preferred A&W's that used to serve real tacos.

McD has been making essentially the same range of burgers for something like fifty years, but it was only in the mid to late eighties that I remember seeing an big increase in fat people, with the boom hitting in the mid-90s.

It's now so bad that I would estimate about 20% of the disabled people I see are disabled from their weight or complications with their weight---and most are in their late 20s to late 40s. Of course you usually don't live much over 50 something.

CG