[lbo-talk] Brits' shit fit over seized sailors misfires

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 18:12:18 PDT 2007

On 3/30/07, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:
> The other thing Iran hasn't said anything about is what the intruders
> were doing there. They just finished a boarding, so they were off for a
> buzz in Iranian waters for a thrill? There's no "they were spying!" or
> "they were stealing our fish!" or ...

Territorial violations by foreign armed forces, especially of powers that clearly are unfriendly to your nation, are in themselves to be protested, especially if those forces are part of the buildup* which is rumored to be preparation for an eventual attack on your nation and if such violations have been made repeatedly.**

* <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/02/25/ngulf125.xml> UK doubles naval presence in Persian Gulf

By Damien McElroy in Manama, Bahrain Last Updated: 1:34am GMT 26/02/2007

Britain's senior naval officer in the Persian Gulf has revealed that Royal Navy deployments in the region have doubled since October in a build-up that matches the rapid escalation of American maritime firepower.

Prince Charles meets Royal Marines during a visit today to Royal Navy Frigate HMS Sutherland at the Bahrain Naval base Prince Charles meets Royal Marines during a visit today to HMS Sutherland in Bahrain

Commodore Keith Winstanley, who serves as deputy commander of coalition maritime operations for US Central Command, has told The Daily Telegraph that British trade and strategic interests dictate the necessity of a high and sustained commitment to patrol the seas around the Middle East.

"If you look at the UK component we have almost doubled it," he said in an interview aboard HMS Sutherland in Mina al-Salman port.

"Most of these ships are here on training missions but there is no doubt that we could use the warfighting capabilities they possess."

Cdre Winstanley said there was a message for Iran in the expansion of the coalition fleet in the waters of the Persian Gulf, Sea of Oman and Arabian Sea. advertisement

More ships on patrol would have strategic effects that went beyond the operational benefits of increased patrols.

Royal Navy commanders insist the build-up in the Gulf has not been ordered by the Ministry of Defence in direct response to Teheran's pursuit of an atomic weapons programme in defiance of a United Nations Security Council resolution.

But there are hopes that additional vessels will intensify pressure on the regime in Tehran to abandon its nuclear activities.

The additional Royal Navy vessels sent to the Gulf include HMS Cornwall, a type 22 frigate, two mine sweepers, HMS Ramsey and HMS Blythe, and a vessel from the Royal Fleet Auxiliary.

The British ships will work in an American-led coalition of naval vessels, which has expanded rapidly in recent weeks with the arrival of a second aircraft carrier battle group, led by USS Stennis.

** <http://www2.irna.ir/en/news/view/line-17/0703296292192431.htm> A Brief look at British violations of Iranian territory Tehran, March 29, IRNA

Let's have a brief look at violations of Iranian territory by the British armed forces:

1. British unmanned reconnaissance plane RPV violated Iranian airspace in northeastern Abadan in June 2004 and was hit by Iranian anti-aircraft guns. RPV debris is available.

2. At 11 O'clock local time on June 22, 2004, three British speed boats with eight navy personnel on board trespassed Iranian borders and were arrested by Iranian coast guards.

3. At 21:30 local time on November 1, 2006, two British Black awks (choppers) from Royal Navy hovered at the height of 150 meters at 47,700-17,400 coordinates on Khorramshahr map (Pole-No: new bridge) violating Iranian airspace and they entered Iraqi territory through 62,500-15,500 coordinates after 10 minutes.

4. On January 27, 2007 a British helicopter flew over mouth of Arvandrud (Arvand river) and violated Iran's airspace and they left the area after a warning from Iranian coast guards.

5. Three British Navy boats entered Khor Mousa mouth in Iranian territorial waters on February 28, 2007.

The sixth was trespass of two British Navy boats with 15 marines on board into Iranian territorial waters at Arvandrud which led to their arrest by Iranian coast guards. -- Yoshie