[lbo-talk] Narmada Dam (was Arundhati Roy etc.)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Mar 31 15:14:19 PDT 2007

On Mar 31, 2007, at 5:57 PM, James Heartfield wrote:

> Why is it necessary for the earth to have more than four million
> people on
> it? It is not necessary, but it is marvellous. People are
> marvellous, and the
> more of them, the better.

I'm 100% with James on this one. Calls for a smaller population really creep me out - they seem fundamentally misanthropic at the core. It's also wonderful that we can get to know so many of each other; I'm incapable of any nostalgia for the world of little villages or small tribes of hunter/gatherers. Sure that's the product of the world in which we live, but it's an empty and abstract idea to suggest that we could, or should, go back. The ickiness of capitalism is that we could do so much better with what we have and know, not that it's destroyed the old.

Doug