[lbo-talk] Sociality and culture ( was ...)

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue May 1 07:04:15 PDT 2007

Charles Brown wrote:
> Kinship is the organization of relationships between living people based
>on their relationships to dead ancestors...
>...Kinship is central to culture. Chimps don't have kinship.

So, kinship being defined as relationship among *people*, chimps being defined as something other than *people*, and culture having *kinship* as its central feature, it follows with uroboric circularity that chimps have no *culture*.

Shane Mage

^^^^^^^ CB; No that is not what I mean. Just substitute " living individual members of the species", "dead members of the species" for "people". Kinship is the organization of relationships betweeen living members of the species based on their relationships to dead generations of the species. If individual chimps significantl related to each other in this way , they would have culture or original culture.