[lbo-talk] Bonobo you don't

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue May 1 11:24:07 PDT 2007

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> However, ideal environment does not exist. The real environments create
> pressures that selectively affect different organic forms' chances of
> survival. As a result of these selective pressures, some organic forms
> become extinct, while others continue to reproduce themselves or even
> thrive. This process is quite dependent on the specific nature of the
> environment.

Sure, that's my point.

> Since humans have the capacity to manipulate their environment, they can
> also avert some selective pressures of that environment that jeopardize
> their chances of survival. In other words, while human can do little to
> affect the supply process i.e. make a certain genetic mutation available (at
> least until recently), they can do quite a bit in preventing some of those
> genetic mutations becoming extinct by shielding them form adverse
> environmental pressures.
That is true of many species. They manipulate their environment, and that manipulation "averts some of the selective pressures of that environment". Examples: beaver's dams, eagles' nests, primates' tool use. When any of these species shape their environments and then the environment "selects" for certain genetic mutations consistent with those species-made environments, that's natural selection. In fact, you could say that the history of evolution on this planet consists of plant and animal species altering their environments to shield themselves from "adverse environmental pressures"! There's nothing exceptional about humans in this respect.

> Since human capacity to affect the environment is
> greater than that of other species, it thus follows that humans have a
> greater capacity to control the natural selection process - or at least its
> elimination of the 'life unfit for life' aspect. However, with the progress
> of genetic science, humans are also gaining the capacity to engineer genetic
> mutations and thus selectively affect the supply process of genetic
> variation, which gives them even a greater level of control of the natural
> selection process.
>
> Wojtek

Humans cannot "control" the natural selection process. You're mistakenly assuming there is some inalterable definition of "life fit for life" that humans can subvert with technological interventions. Evolution doesn't identify essential types of "life fit for life". Whatever traits lead to increased survival and reproduction in a given environment will tend to proliferate in a species; it doesn't matter what we think is more "suitable" or "advanced". --E.g., lobsters in dark, deep water evolving to lose their eye stalks is not "de-evolution" or a subversion of the evolutionary process; it is evolution. Thus if there is some genetic variant X that once led to lower rates of reproductive success and is "saved" by technological innovations so that people with X have higher rates of reproductive success now, that's not subverting the evolutionary process; it just means that genetic variant X will be selected for in that specific technological environment, just like any other trait that leads to high rates of reproductive success in that environment.

This thread is very strange to me. Everything I've said in this thread is basic stuff covered in an introductory biology class. Why is it so hard for some to comprehend that humans, like all plant and animal species on this planet, are imbricated in the ongoing process of evolution?

Miles