[lbo-talk] We will conserve 17 to 21 million gallons in fuel annually ...

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Tue May 1 20:33:50 PDT 2007

On 4/30/07, Mike Ballard <swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Apr 26, 2007, at 6:31 AM, Andy F wrote:
>
> > Any idea on how to maintain current, much less projected, levels of
> > air travel with 80% CO2 reductions?
> Doug replied:
> I don't think that's possible.
> ********
> Perhaps by burning hydrogen, if a way can be found to produce and store it
> efficiently.

Sorry, no. Hydrogen though economically nonsensical at least can produce an emissions reduction on the ground. Use solar or wind electricity to make hydrogen. Burn the hydrogen. Voila, low emissions, if high costs and huge thermodynamic losses in the two combined conversion steps.

In the air it s another story. NxOx from the heat of jets, and water vapor are the main emissions from airplanes, dominating carbon by 2 to 1. (Water vapor is a feedback on the ground, but a forcing in the stratosphere or upper troposphere, because it tends to stay there in various forms.) Hydrogen planes, if you could make one with sufficient passenger capacity, would produce more water vapor , and because of higher temperatures probably more NxOx as well. So a Hydrogen plane would contribute *more* emissions* than our current jets. *************

Thanks for clearing that up Gar. Does global warming mean the end of air travel or do you have another solution for this issue?

Best, Mike B)

An injury to one is an injury to all http://www.iww.org.au/