[lbo-talk] Abortion in the Irish courts again

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Wed May 2 09:57:15 PDT 2007

On 5/2/07, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:
> > by "cannot afford" I meant "cannot afford", you know, as in
> > haven't got the money to fly to England and get an abortion.
>
> Is there a 'cottage industry' of day-trips on the ferry to Holyhead?
> I could see this as a great non-profit setup.

Holyhead's quite far from any urban centre and flights are generally cheap enough now that most women just fly. As I understand it they are expected to stay for at least one night (possibly longer if they are having a medical abortion, although those are not usually available except to women who are already registered with a British GP).

There are organisations that will provide assistance to these women on a not-for-profit basis but I've never heard of anyone trying to set up an actual 'industry' to bring them over - if the law didn't shut it down (and quite possibly it could), the public outcry would.