[lbo-talk] Abortion in the Irish courts again

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Wed May 2 18:25:19 PDT 2007

--- Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:

> How? California and New York would still be just as
> far
> away. Jesusland states, so-called, have cities
> with progressive
> populations and abortion clinics. I wouldn't argue
> that activists
> should leave hip metropoles, so-called, to live in
> those other
> cities, but they shouldn't be written off either.
> If you're in the
> South it's a hell of a lot easier to get to an
> abortion clinic in
> Atlanta or Dallas than it is to get to one in New
> York or Los Angeles.

[WS:] True, but I would still argue that it is possible to organize inexpensive or even free transportation on a non-profit basis to provide access to reproductive health clinics for women in remote jesusland states. Currently, such clinics are already scarce in some of these states, yet afaik there is no organized effort to provide transport and accommodations for women from these areas who have to travel long distance to obtain abortion services. If these states outlawed abortion altogether, that at least would provide a stimulus to organize such an effort.

Of course, I am not arguing for overturning Roe v Wade. I am simply arguing for making strategic choices and using resources in those areas that have greatest chances of success, and withdrawing them from those areas where that chance is minimal.

In addition to the obvious economic rationale for such an approach, there is also an ethical one - people should bear full consequences of the choices they make. If they like to be religious, conservative, and moral - the consequence of that should be limited access to services that conflict with that religiosity, conservatism and morality. Why using scarce resources to save them from the consequences of their own life choices?

BTW, what are the chances that abortion woud be outlawed in jesusland states with large urban populations? Methinks it would be mostly rural/small town states that would do it, but I could be wrong.

Wojtek