[lbo-talk] Abortion in the Irish courts again

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Wed May 2 23:43:40 PDT 2007

On 5/2/07, Jason <lists at moduszine.com> wrote:

> I was educated in a Catholic school, albeit one in the six counties. It's easy to overstate the indoctrination that goes on in them. I was shown anti-abortion videos as a teenager. They didn't change my mind one bit.

Well, you're not exactly typical of Six County Catholics, Jason! At least not the ones I know (and I know quite a few of them). But the fact that you were shown anti-abortion videos at all is exactly the kind of indoctrination I'm talking about - in the other countries I mentioned, the majority of teenagers aren't shown these videos, because in those countries the majority of teenagers don't go to Catholic schools. Can I prove that there is a link between the fact that they are showed those videos (and other such propaganda) here, and the high rate of anti-abortionism even among the political left - no I can't. But it would be counterintuititve to think that there wasn't a link.

> More broadly I would nitpick a bit on "power and influence". Influence I would conceed, but not power.

I'm not sure there's really a difference, in practical terms.

> Because of morality that has come from the church's teachings

Well, that was my point. The Church's teachings on abortion are pervasive enough in this country that their morality has been indoctrinated even into people who wouldn't consider themselves religious.

> Nevertheless, I'm not seeing much sign of 1980s style racicalism on the issue, pro or con.

Activists on both sides have been pretty quiet lately, admittedly . That is starting to change on the pro side though - the email I sent you off-list referenced a new pro-choice activist group which just formed this year and is determined to revive 1980s style radicalism on it. You can bet the antis will follow suit eventually.

> That doesn't suggest any great belief in dogma to me

That wasn't my suggestion.