[lbo-talk] Abortion in the Irish courts again

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Thu May 3 05:58:02 PDT 2007

At 10:54 AM +0100 3/5/07, Jason wrote:

>wrote about Catholic schools in Tasmania being desirious of
>discrimination.
>
>So what? If secular education was the norm this would not matter.
>
>Make state schools areligious and let the Catholics (and all the rest
>of them) do whatever they like. Religious schools should be entitled
>to disriminate on the basis of relgion, the only problem is when
>religious schools and public schools are one and the same thing.

I agree with the sentiment, but that's the problem. Religious schools in Australia are all massively subsidised by the government, so Catholic schools are essentially state schools. Outsourced.

But if the Catholic schools were happy to let government schools have the money back (they need it) I'd be relaxed about letting them discriminate against non-Catholics. As the situation stands, Which is to say that there's no chance in hell of the religious schools getting their snout out of the public trough, I think they have a hide.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas