[lbo-talk] transition

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu May 3 10:15:15 PDT 2007

Charles wrote:

>I can't recall hearing it from a white
>person, but maybe some white people use it too. It might be like a lot of
>Black English: not "authoritative" but confined enough to Black people and
>enough of them ( though not all) such that it is meaningful to designate it
>as "Black English" or current Black slang. There are always some white
>people who speak Black slang.
>
>Here's another one coming down the Black pike. "That's a good ideal" for
>"That's a good idea." You heard it here first ( smile).
>
>In a minute, y'all.

There may be such a thing as Black English but there may also be such a thing as Southern or maybe Country English. I've heard white people using "passed away" or "passed on" since I was a kid. They also say y'all. Bitch had an Ellie Mae question yesterday. The tagline for the Beverly Hillbillies was "y'all come back now, 'hear."