[lbo-talk] Iran before Ahmadinejad (was capital punishment in Iran)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat May 5 13:42:44 PDT 2007

--- ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote: Re: standard bearer of anti-imperialism: what else is there, outside of maybe Castro and Chavez (each flawed in their own ways)? Tom Friedman's India? Putin's Russia? (actually, yes perhaps the latter, for much the same reason as Iran).

I'm not sure what "anti-imperialism" really means anymore. But anyway I'm a big Putin guy (like most people in Russia) because of the rapidly increasing living standards. Russia has a large middle class today. That is the first time it has ever happened in history. Consumption is now higher than the Soviet level -- this after the '90s collapse. We've had 10% growth in real wages every year for the last 7. It's amazing.