[lbo-talk] Brit general says (Now the South)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun May 6 04:29:03 PDT 2007

I studied with Nisbett, and respect his work, but this show nothing _comparatively_ and isn't meant to. At the time I took his class, I was at the U of M, 40 miles from Detroit, the city with the then-highest murder rate in the US and with levels of white racism so toxic you could not breathe. White Southerners talk a rhetoric of honor, don't I know it. That may explain some of the violence that some of them commit. Unfortunately a vastly disproportionate amount of the violent crime in this country is committed not by white Southerners but by poor minorities, and that's not because the cops don't try to catch or the prosecutors convict white murderers and thugs. Obviously the poverty and hopelessness of the circumstances in which urban minorities find themselves, north and south, has a lot to due with the violence, It's also likely that honor culture of a different sort provides the official rhetoric for young minority men in urban centers. In any case, your psychopathic hatred of and contempt for the South cannot be bolstered by the sort of evidence you cite, The most violent places in the country have been for a long time Northern cities. Likewise the most racist places. So don't drag in social psychology to explain your own vile and idiotic prejudices. You might not want a white Southerner to marry your sister, and apparently don't, but most people know enough to keep their lips zipped about embarrassing attitudes like that.

<http://psp.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/20/5/551>