[lbo-talk] Wacko/Sherman (was Re: Brit general says . . . .)

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Sun May 6 10:47:25 PDT 2007

On 5/6/07, J. Tyler <unended at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:
> > Do anarchists reject all hierarchy? Or just
> > unjustified forms?
>
> The latter. It's often termed "illegitimate" in anarchist literature.

Then maybe the anarchist FAQ you linked to should be clarified. It claims:

"Some argue that as long as an association is voluntary, whether

it has an hierarchical structure is irrelevant. Anarchists

disagree."

<http://www.spunk.org/texts/intro/faq/sp001547/secA2.html#seca28>

It explained hierarchy:

"Control in a hierarchy is maintained by coercion, that is, by the

threat of negative sanctions of one kind or another: physical,

economic, psychological, social, etc. Such control, including the

repression of dissent and rebellion, therefore necessitates

centralisation: a set of power relations in which the greatest

control is exercised by the few at the top (particularly the head

of the organisation), while those in the middle ranks have much

less control and the many at the bottom have virtually none.

"Since domination, coercion, and centralisation are essential

features of authoritarianism, and as those features are embodied

in hierarchies, all hierarchical institutions are

authoritarian. Moreover, for anarchists, any organisation marked

by hierarchy, centralism and authoritarianism is state-like, or

"statist." And as anarchists oppose both the state and

authoritarian relations, anyone who does not seek to dismantle all

forms of hierarchy cannot be called an anarchist."

(But perhaps I'm taking that out of context; I realize the faq took 10 years to write, and I have to run to catch a train.)

If I'm not totally misreading it, I think such statements might lead to the confusion I mentioned within the left.

But that's not to slam the faq, parts of which have really informed me. And maybe a sensible interpretation of that passage is that a consistent anarchist should at least be honest enough to admit that the hierarchy is an unfortunate problem, even if there's currently no clear solution.

Tayssir