[lbo-talk] Southern vs. Northern violence

Michael McIntyre mcintyremichael at mac.com
Sun May 6 12:00:23 PDT 2007

Miles - You're right that you're still more likely to be a homicide victim in New Orleans than in San Francisco. But this was prompted by a dispute between Carl and andie about whether there was some "cultural" (for lack of a better word) factor peculiar to the south that prompts higher homicide rates there. "What everyone knows" was invoked on each side - that homicide rates are higher in the south, that homicide rates are higher in northern cities, etc. Either way, "what everyone knows" is wrong. Three of the five cities with the highest homicide rates are border cities (unadjusted: Baltimore, DC, & St. Louis; adjusted: Baltimore, DC, & Kansas City). But why does San Francisco, of all places, have so many more murders than the sociodemographic factors would predict?

MM