[lbo-talk] Southern vs. Northern violence

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun May 6 20:25:25 PDT 2007

>From: Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu>
>
>... Interesting aside, I know Carl will love this: in
>one study, N & C exposed college students to an abusive insult (a person
>bumped the student in a hallway and called him "asshole"). Immediately
>afterwards, students who grew up in the South were more physiologically
>aroused, had higher cortisol and testosterone levels, and felt more
>hostile than students who grew up outside the South. In sum: The
>culture of honor in the South encompasses not just people's attitudes
>but also their physiological reactions when their personal honor is
>impugned.

It would be unseemly of me to gloat about those findings. I will simply note them with clinical detachment and file them under ROTFL.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Get a FREE Web site, company branded e-mail and more from Microsoft Office Live! http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/