[lbo-talk] Southern vs. Northern violence

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon May 7 07:46:52 PDT 2007

Dennis Perrin wrote:
> Okay -- I understand the point being made here (at least I think I do), but
> I challenge Miles to put this in plain English. Why this secret language
> about social/cultural factors?
>
> Dennis

I'm not being coy; I'm not thinking of any social/cultural factors here in particular. There are no doubt hundreds if not thousands of factors that impact homicide rates, and they are intercorrelated. Thus the methodological problem with the regression "adjustment" of homicide rates. (Sorry, I'm just being a stats wonk here; I'm not trying to make any subtle point about particular sociocultural factors affecting homicide rates.)

Miles