[lbo-talk] Southern vs. Northern violence

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Mon May 7 09:30:03 PDT 2007

On 7 May, 2007, at 11:57 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On May 7, 2007, at 10:54 AM, Miles Jackson wrote:
>
>> Do you see honor as a way for
>> colonized people to maintain some sense of worth?
>
> Yeah. It was purely speculative, but I was wondering if a
> hypersensitivity about honor on a personal level is a compensation
> for external humiliations. Purely on the basis of received
> stereotypes, it seems that Latin American and Middle Eastern cultures
> are very honor-centric. Isn't the anticolonial literature full of
> imagery about how being colonized is emasculating, and kind of akin
> to, um, anal penetration?

Do you mean anti-colonial literature from Latin America and Middle East (what a strange name -- middle east?!), or anti-colonial literature in general? In either case, I would be surprised as much by a lack of such as by its dominating ("full of imagery") the literature. Is Western culture/literature any different when it comes to emasculation, anal penetration, etc? For instance, check out the recent HRW report on prison rape in the United States.

It seems both unnecessary and suspicious to exoticise theorisation of this or that foreign culture, as Galloway did on your radio show, surprisingly with your agreement, regarding Arab/Muslim reactions and their adopting the master narrative regarding their own worth -- as Feyerabend might have said, what colourful arias to explain [avoiding] the obvious!

--ravi