[lbo-talk] Save the Planet: Kill Yourself

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Mon May 7 13:59:26 PDT 2007

On 5/7/07, James Heartfield <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Andy writes of his chapter of the Voluntary Human Extinction movement:
>
> "I have to emphasize that our activities are for now strictly
> voluntary, and that we try to convince people of their essential
> worthlessness through gentle persuasion and reasoned argument."
>
> You could always try leading by example, I suppose.

We prefer to take our cues from Campus Republicans and their habits regarding enlistment.

> Does the 'for now' suggest that the more militant wing is straining at the
> leash?

Certainly not. The subsidiary organizations of the Illuminated Order of Climatologists take pride in their discipline.

> Were Timothy McVeigh or Ted Kaczynki part of a breakaway group, perhaps?

Not at all. McVeigh completed his mission with flying colors and per orders, was spirited out of his cell, replaced with an android, and is now doing a postdoc in biostratigraphy at Oregon State. Kaczynski, for his part, couldn't really keep it together as an effective operative, but his analysis of technology is close to our hearts.

> What about the Hale Bopp suicides, or Rev. Jim Jones? Ultra-leftists, or
> just ahead of their time?

Actually, Dr. Jones was doing pioneering field work in "soft path" mind control (Amory Lovins suggested this phrase to him. Ken Kesey suggested the Kool-Aid).

That Hale Bopp thing was just weird. We think it was the Orbital Mechanics Syndicate yanking our chain.

> What if it was all a ploy by us global warming sceptics to decimate the
> opposition?

You're whistling past the graveyard on that, old boy!

-- Andy