[lbo-talk] France looks to new Sarkozy era

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue May 8 12:17:59 PDT 2007

Dennis:

I wasn't talking about people in jail. I was referring to people, mostly family members of people in jail, who are organizing around criminal justice issues. You piss on them by saying that their concerns won't get attention because they aren't worthy of attention.

[WS:] Again, you are mistaken. There are two different ways of organizing - one that centers on blaming or pissing off people who are slightly better off, and the other of actually doing something, mobilizing resources, etc that would provide specific support for those who are in need.

To use an example - your posting about ACRON demonstration in Garden City, Nassau County belongs to the first variety. It changes absolutely nothing, it does not add any housing, it pisses off people who otherwise might be neutral or even sympathetic, and the only thing that it does is making the activistists proud of themselves that they created a ruckus. I used to be involved with ACORN in Baltimore many years ago - and their style was a complete turn off for me.

The second way or organizing in that situation would be to mobilize resources and political support to build a housing cooperative. There is a number of them in this country - but they exist quietly, without the brouhaha of a street demonstration. I am certainly supportive of this kind of organizing (in fact I do live in such a cooperative organized explicitly to move people out of public housing).

So to reiterate - I do not piss on people who are trying to address a social issue. I piss on people who piss on people like me in the pursuit of their political agenda. It is purely defensive and reactive on my part.

>Most people just want to live lives that are
>free of crime and grime and do not want to save the world - who the fuck
are
>you to judge them?

I wasn't. I was talking to you.

[WS:] So let me get it straight - you do not blame people for doing it, but you have an issue with me. Does that mean that you do not consider me a person, or you do not think that I want to live my life free of crime and grime and I do not want to be blamed for that by holier-than-thou pricks?

Wojtek