[lbo-talk] so the U.S. will never leave Iraq?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue May 8 15:23:59 PDT 2007

Never is a long time -- but I believe a remark by Kenneth Burke I quoted earlier applies here. He noted that when FDR came out with a blast against the "Financial Royalists" he (KB) was confident the banks were safe.

What Congress does or say is irrelevant until they focus their attention on the billions being spent to build permanent bases in Iraq.

U.S. troops will not leave willingly under this or the next administration.

This is why leftists ought to participate actively in building local anti-war groups. The Occupation will last long enough and remain unpopular enough for those groups to be _one_ of the foci of a new national left. We have made some rather startling breakthroughs recently here in B/N. Good things should happen elsewhere if leftists keep their noses to the grindstone on this.

Carrol