[lbo-talk] Russia's economy (now question of consent)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 08:20:11 PDT 2007

Even if you think that a legitimate government is one that promotes human flourishing as best as possible in the circumstances (eudaimonism), what's human flourishing? Ari's own version of eudaimonism is extremely vexed, particularly since there are at least two versions of it -- the "political" version (N.E. I-IX) and the "contemplative" version (N.E. X). Marx's laborist version is different and J.S. Mill's experimentalist version different again. There are others. In addition, eudaimonism is only one view. There's utilitarianism, varieties of Kantianism, Rawls, natural rights theory left and right, etc. Anyway, Ari wasn't interested in the problems of consent theory, since they had not occurred to him. And he doesn't address the later alternatives, likewise. Aristotle's analysis is useful, but only as a starting point. There is nothing easy about these questions.

I have a paper in draft about the relations between democracy and legal positivism.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/aristotle-politics/#ConCit