[lbo-talk] Minority Report (was Southern vs. Northern violence)

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu May 10 08:33:51 PDT 2007

On 9 May, 2007, at 1:41 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

> I'm not a minority myself, nor could I even play one convincingly
> on TV, but
> an old pal of mine who has official minority status always explains
> the
> difference between Southern and Northern racism this way: Down
> South you can
> get as close as you like as long as you don't get too big. Up North
> you can
> get as big as you like, but don't get too close.

That describes it to a T -- at least the North, from my experience. While New England is truly frigid when it comes to interaction with "aliens", I am not sure where the social disconnect in the rest of the Northeast comes from... before I came to the US, I had tens of close friends. Now I have maybe 5 (if you count friends in distant parts that I meet occasionally) to none (in terms of motorcycle wrenching buddies). However, putting aside the machismo of NY/NJ culture, I do not believe this to be a result of racism. It could be cultural differences, my own attitude(s), an inherent aloofness in the US psyche (ha! there I go psycho-analysing, after critiquing Doug/ Galloway for it), etc. Wojtek summarised my fate (and his) fairly well in a post a while ago...

Someone mentioned that the racism in the North is polite while it is open in the South. Similar things were written by others. But I am not sure I (either) understand (or) agree. Southerners (the non- redneck single white male with gun-rack pickup truck variety) pride themselves on their politeness, etc, but have said the most racist things in the sweetest of terms to me. As Carl points out swimmingly, they seem to still exist in an environment where such expressions and actions (the celebration of the confederate flag) are yet to be considered impolite (leave alone forbidden, as in the North).

--ravi