[lbo-talk] Women in Iran since 1979

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Thu May 10 08:02:46 PDT 2007

On 5/10/07, tfast <tfast at yorku.ca> wrote:
> The point is Mr Timberlake, that I have always read both Chris and Yoshie to
> be saying, both in the case of Russia and Iran respectively, that life in
> both countries has improved for the citizens in those countries. Note: I am
> even in less of a position to argue about Iran because I have no information
> about what actually matters (that is how the courts are run, oversight over
> local officials etc etc.) And this is key. In order to have any kind of
> meaningful discussion about the state of life in either country we need to
> know what day to day life looks like for the average citizen trying to get
> on with their life. What both Chris and Yoshie it seems have been reacting
> to is the constant barrage of sensational instances being presented as the
> norm.

It is a striking fact that rarely in discourse on the left in the West does one find any detailed information about how things have changed in Iran over time since the Islamic Revolution, though an abundance of information is available from scholarly literature. Here's an excellent overview of changes that women have made in the Islamic Republic of Iran, regarding law, labor, religion, education, birth control, sports, etc., by one of the best scholars in Middle East Studies:

FULL TEXT available at <http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2267/is_2_67/ai_63787337/print> Social Research, Summer 2000 Women in Iran Since 1979 Nikki R. Keddie

Nikki R. Keddie is Professor Emerita at the University of California-Los Angeles. She has published widely on Iran and the Muslim world, including, most recently, Qajar Iran and the Rise of Reza Khan (1999). She is currently working on articles and an AHA pamphlet on women in Middle Eastern History. She is co-editing (with Rudi Matthee) the proceedings of the UCLA conference, "Iran and the Surrounding World since 1500: Cultural Influences and Interactions." -- Yoshie