[lbo-talk] US helps Vietnam counter HIV/AIDS

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Thu May 10 09:39:13 PDT 2007

Nhan Dan http://www.nhandan.com.vn/english/index.htm

Last updated: 16:49 - May 10, 2007

US helps Vietnam counter HIV/AIDS http://www.nhandan.com.vn/english/life/100507/life_us.htm

Nhan Dan Online - In a ceremony at the Ministry of Health on May 9 afternoon, US Ambassador Michael W. Marine presented the 2007 Country Operational Plan (COP) to Minister Chien in support of the Government of Vietnam’s HIV/AIDS prevention, care and treatment efforts.

In his remarks, Ambassador Marine renewed the commitment of the United States to work as Vietnam’s partner in fighting this fatal disease.

“The bilateral relationship and myriad areas of co-operation our two countries share are enhanced by our partnership in battling the terrible disease of HIV/AIDS and its many consequences,” said the Ambassador.

The 2007 annual plan lays out how we will spend US $59 million to carry out a joint U.S. and Government of Vietnam vision to support prevention, care and treatment.

The activities described in the plan have been developed in co-ordination with the Ministry of Health and other partners to provide support for priority programs of action within the Vietnam National Strategy for HIV and AIDS Control.

To strengthen HIV prevention programmes, the Office of the Global AIDS Co-ordinator has also approved more than US $1,000,000 in additional 2007 funds that will be used to support different partners to expand outreach efforts, train more Vietnamese drug abuse counselors and support programs for youth.

By Minh Tuan

© All rights, including design and copyright are owned by NhanDan Online.