[lbo-talk] Minority Report (was Southern vs. Northern violence)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu May 10 18:31:58 PDT 2007

>From: Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net>
>
>... As a long-transplanted Southerner, I still find myself bristling at
>Northerners' tone of voice, and even their body language ...
>The Ozone Park mentality is quite different. I don't understand it from the
>inside, being an alien and all, but I think it may be just the reverse.
>Politeness consists in pretending that nobody farted. You keep talking as
>if
>there were no elephant in the room. Would you like another spiced rum? Is
>that a pit bull? ...

>From: "W. Kiernan" <wkiernan at gmail.com>
>
>Carl Remick wrote:
> >
> > I, a transplanted Massachusetts native, have
> > lived on Long Island now for well over twenty
> > years and haven't made a single friend here
> > in all that time.
>
>Aw man, aren't we your friends?

Well yes, but this is cyberspace where all things are possible. It's a lot more complicated in the 3-D world where, as Michael notes, there are elephants in the room farting, requesting spiced rum, trying to pass as pit bulls, and otherwise impeding communication and understanding.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ More photos, more messages, more storage—get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507